Sunday 22 January 2012

Magazine Title Ideas

STARLET - I thought of this name because the word has a strong affiliation with Hollywood movies as it is given to young actresses with aspirations to become a movie star. Because of these connotations the term will most likely be familiar to women with a strong interest in film and as these women would be the target audience for the magazine it works quite well. The female nature of the word also supports the idea of the magazine drawing in a female readership. However, because of strong affiliation with Hollywood the brand identity of it being a British Female Film Magazine does not come across - in this respect it seems to American for my magazine. The archaic nature of the word 'starlet' is almost too old fashioned for a magazine that is trying to appeal to a modern female audience choosing to buy a magazine based on film rather than gossip, celebrity or solely fashion.

CLOSE-UP - This name is inspired by the cliché of actors and actresses saying 'I'm ready for my close-up' originally from the American film noire 'Sunset Boulevard'. Although the film was American the title alone does not immediately give an American impression. However, I feel that the title could be easily misinterpreted as a fashion and beauty magazine unless I was to make it clear on the cover that the magazine was based on an interest in film. On the other hand, the connotations of beauty and fashion when hearing the title could work in favour if the magazine was also going to include features of this nature.

TAKE2 - Because this phrase is so well known when you think about films being shot I feel that this title is the only one that gives an immediate indication as to the nature of the magazine. I like the fact that there are very few characters/numbers in the title because it would work quite well on the cover giving it a modern and minimalist feel. However, there are no female connotations when hearing the title and as this is a unique selling point (USP) of the magazine it might not work as effectively when attracting my audience.

I have chosen to focus on the titles TAKE2 and CLOSE-UP however I want to carry out a small bit of market research to ensure my target group also like these title choices. Firstly, I need to choose a font suitable so I can show my market research group visuals to ensure I get the most reliable data back.

No comments:

Post a Comment