Saturday 21 January 2012

Editing/Creating Movie Poster [with Photoshop]


Above are the print screens during the creation of my movie poster. The first thing I did was enlarge the photo I wanted to use to cover the canvas I had created with the specific dimensions of a medium sized movie poster [18x24 inches]. I then added the white strips I chose to use instead of the ‘film strip’ style I initially put on my movie poster mock-up – this was because I felt that they created an old fashioned film, this was also something fed back to me when showing the poster to my class. Instead, the white strips connotate a much more modern style which is perfect in attracting people interested in this type of film. I placed them across the woman’s eyes as well as below her mouth – this was to emphasise the importance of her smile in being part of the reality show juxtaposing the shots of her being watched effectively blind her implying the idea of her ignorance in the film. I then added the titles in a white font similar to the one I am using in my teaser trailer. When opening the photos I want to place on the white strips on Photoshop I inserted a black and white effect adjusting it to make the shadows more prominent and to embolden the blacks in the photos – this was to create more of a darker feel that would juxtapose the coloured photo in the background that I go onto saturating it to suggest a positive feel for the woman in the background.

Here is my final movie poster...


After receiving feedback from the members in my class that fitted my target audience they thought that the initial final poster's juxtaposition did what I intended it to do by hooking their interest- initially they thought it was a happy photo yet the mode of address for the '15 minutes of fame quote' was imagined to be sinister. They felt that the placing of the text underneath the strips of the pictures drew their eye to both these details instantly which is perfect if I were to use transit advertising as my route for exhibition. However, criticism was made over the fact that the photos were uninteresting and did not tell any story - the only positive significance of it was that it emphasised the idea of being watch but it did not hint at the genre of the film being a thriller or the distress that the girl was being caused which is evident in the trailer. So I decided to edit my ''final'' poster...

Second Final Movie Poster


As you can see I have changed the three photos in the lower part of my poster and instead of just using photos I took specifically for the movie poster I used 2 still images from my teaser trailer. Looking again at my movie poster gave me the opportunity to reinstate continuity within my campaign and now viewers of my teaser trailer will recognise the images used in my movie poster and vice versa. I have also told more of a story between the images; now the bottom three increase in tension as she runs down the stairs, runs out the door and finally the full identity in the face of the girl is revealed as vulnerable and suspicious which hints more at the nature of the film and its genre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment