Monday 6 February 2012

Teaser Trailer - First Draft (& Market Research Feedback)

Development of Teaser Trailer

·         Does it create a sense of mystery?
·         Does the pace of the trailer hook you?
·         Has the trailer hooked you enough to interest you without giving too much away?
·         What do you think about the sound?
·         Is the text appropriate for the teaser? (if no, why?)
·         Any other comments? Any improvements? Anything you don’t like?


After putting together the clips for my teaser trailer the first time I decided to sample it with some people suited to my predominantly female target audience in the age group of 18-30 as well as a couple of males from that target group. This was with the aim to find out what the group I’m aiming for would change and what they thought was effective therefore ensuring I was reaching my target group effectively. Above you can see the question steers that I felt were appropriate to provoke comments from my market research participants as well as photos of some of them watching and taking part.

As well as doing this I also let my media teacher look at it, even though she is out of my target audience age wise, as she is able to look at it with a media perspective criticising it technically as well as taking into account the aims I am trying to achieve before critiquing it. Below I will summarise the responses I received:

Does it create a sense of mystery?
‘Yes, want to know who the male voice is’ ‘Yes’ ‘Yes…makes me want to watch it to find out [more]’ 
‘Yes – I would watch the film’

Does the pace hook you?

‘Yes, perfect mix of long and short clips and the slight slow motion in some make it look sinister’
‘Slow build then slows down further, this would work if you juxtapose it with some tension building music’

Has it hooked you enough to interest you but not given too much away?

‘Yes’ ‘Yes’ ‘Yes it has hooked me’

What do you think about the sound?

‘Keyboard sound a bit too repetitive, [add] music?’ ‘needs some tension building music when she starts running’ ‘needs some with the lights’ ‘natural sound makes it tense’
‘sound of typing links well with the teaser being based around technology’ ‘some proper music would improve it’

Is the text appropriate for the teaser? (if no, why?)

‘Yes – looks social networky’ ‘could do with being bigger’ ‘gets a bit lost in the rest of the trailer’

Any other comments? Any improvements? Anything you don’t like?

‘female looking at camera – slightly repetitive’ ‘needs a visual with the opening voiceover’ ‘need consistency with colour e.g black + white for all the scenes when camera is watching her’
 ‘needs more dramatic music’ ‘Don’t understand why it cuts from black + white to colour’

Conclusion:



As well as conducting written market research I also recorded a male and a female as examples of my target audience and asked them what they thought the key things they could comment on concerning sound, visuals, text and personal interest. Below you can see that the key things they commented on were almost identical to the stuff that the sample who filled out my questionnaires commented on.


Overall the things commented on multiple times were:
  • The shots of the female turning around were too repetitive
  • The sound of the keyboard get’s too repetitive towards the end of the trailer
  • Sound to accompany the shots of the studio lights
  • Visuals to accompany the beginning of the trailer
  • Make the black and white effect of the recording shots more consistent

I will now think of ideas to combat these and then re show my trailer to the same people to ensure that I have mate their needs as on a small scale of producing a teaser trailer they represent the needs of my whole target audience

No comments:

Post a Comment