Tuesday 7 February 2012

Improving - According to Market Research


To please my target audience I chose to alter certain things according to the feedback I was given during market research. One thing mentioned frequently was the shots of the female turning around - it was too repetitive which is not the effect I was hoping for as I was attempting to build up pace and tension. Whilst looking at video FX on iMovieHD I found an effect perfect for my teaser - it is called 'N-Square' and it duplicates the shot. Because the film is based around a woman's entire life being recorded as a reality show the idea of multiple screens connotates the idea of being watched because it symbolises TV screens. I have chosen to add this to the shots [seen in the screen shot above] gradually multiplying the amount of screens therefore enforcing my main aim of building up tension and pace.


I also had to make the black and white effect more consistent - which at first worried me as I didn't want to continuous black and white shots to overshadow the fact that the film is not just in black and white. However, during production I decided to include the shots of the directors hands typing to give a direct relationship with the teaser and the sound as well as the shot of twitter (which can stay in colour) and the ending where it zooms out to reveal the editing of her life. Because my teaser is broken up with shots in colour this solves the worry of the entire thing portraying what is not a black and white film. This is however, something that was fed back to me by my target audience and therefore I understand that this is something they feel would improve the teaser trailer.


It was also fed back to me that the text was lost in the teaser trailer however, my audience did feel that the font it emulated the style used in social networking - being clean cut and crisp. However, iMovieHD only allowed my text to be as big as I had it in the original draft unless I placed some of the sentence below in a smaller font. The titles still work well as the 'Everybody wants' holds alot of significance and the larger font connotates the idea of 'the masses'. I have chosen to go ahead with enlarging the fonts as they are a crucial point of hooking my audience by addressing them and informing them about the film's storyline.


Another thing people felt was needed was sound to accompany the shots of the lights so I recorded the sound of a projecting light turning on and edited it using AudioFX using 'reverb' and using the Cathedral Setting to give it more of a dramatic and echoey feel to it.

UPDATE [24/02/12]: I have put the final touches on to my teaser trailer according to my market research. I have added music which I will create an individual post on to expand on my choices, I have also recorded visuals for the beginning of my trailer to ensure that I grab people's attention straight away as the idea of just a blank screen might not hook people fast enough in a cinema or television viewing. Below is a printscreen of the recording that I incorporated into my teaser - the visual is the 'no signal' screen on tv - the idea behind this was to grab people's attention because if someone was to see this in the cinema they would initially think there was something wrong with the projection or at home on there TV therefore grabbing therefore hooking them. I also made changes to the dialogue at the ending of my trailer where it originally said 'It's a show on you, all of you!', this was interpreted as quite misleading when my market research group watched it as they heard it as if it was being said to a group of people - as this is not the case I have taken this bit of speech out and have found that the single piece of script 'I didn't sign up for this' is much more effective on its own.


No comments:

Post a Comment