Thursday 23 February 2012

Music Choices



The first is called In Motion (created by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross) featured on original soundtrack for 'The Social Network'. I decided to look into the music for this film as although it is a Drama and not a Thriller the tone of the film is dark at times and as the film is based around technology supported by the music is described as sound as if it 'were written by and for machines' [source: iTunes]. However, I chose not to use this song in the end as I didn't want the sound to my film being reminiscent of a film that was not realeased that long ago (2010) - the problem with this is that the song was directly created for a certain film and as this film doesn't relate in anyway to mine except the darkness expressed about technology I don't feel as though the music would support it.

The second is called 'The Darkest Star' by Depeche Mode, which was described by NME as sound like 'gum-pop self-harmings' which is strongly suggested by it's dark tone. When playing this song with my teaser trailer I found a part of the song, that happened to be the start, which fitted perfectly - the louder beats as well as the slower moments were synchronous with the pace and how I had arranged the faster parts and the slower parts. Because the song has not been used as a soundtrack for a major film this solves the problem of my teaser trailer sending out the wrong message to the audience. Instead it brings more originality to my piece which is perfect for a new release from a more independent studio background. The music also has strong electronical features working well with the storyline of my entire film hinted at within my teaser trailer with the shots of the keyboard and sound of typing.

CONCLUSION: I have decided the piece best suited for my trailer is Depeche Mode's 'The Darkest Star' as it just fits so well with my teaser trailer and supports the ideas and emotions I want to get across to my audience. At the same time as this though the song is much more original in terms of movie soundtracks and will not influence immediate relations between my film and anyone elses. I now have to place it within my trailer and ensure I am at the 30 second mark so that I have not broken any copyright laws.

1 comment:

  1. Kieron - overall the blog is excellent in style, literacy, evidence of progress and planning as well as proving your understanding of the production process and the media industry - i need to read in more detail but i suspect that you need a little more precision on the copyright issue - can you poibt me to a post where you have evidence of the 30 second rule that you mention - i do not want you to lose marks - if there is a post or web-site with the information add a hyperlink to it embedded in this post in the relevant location.

    ReplyDelete