Friday 4 November 2011

Questionnaire Results - Genre & Gender Audience



Conclusion

It is clear to see the differences between which genres are more favourable with each gender. For females, the most popular genre is Romantic Comedy followed by Thriller and then Comedy. The least popular were Documentary and Sci-Fi Adventure and Comedy didn't perform horendously bad but the key thing I wanted to take from these results for females is that Thriller is still a popular genre even if it didn't perform as the best. Because those who answered this questionnaire had to choose 3 genres each, thriller being chosen 25 times means that at least half of the females that answered chose it as one of their 3.

For males, Thriller actually performed as the most popular genre being chosen 37 times for one of the 3 genres that were my target groups favourite. Action was second popular for the boys followed closely by again, Comedy. Because Thriller was more popular with both genders than I had expected it has altered what I thought would be a male target audience alone.
After researching into the audiences of thrillers throughout the past century using IMDB, this sample research has slightly contradicted this and those who I have asked in the age group I am aiming for, Thrillers seem to be more popular to females than shown in the audience for figures on IMDB. However I have to take into account that those figures shown on IMDB are users of the site and are therefore the types of people who feel the need to rate the film and are more fans of media in general rather than just someone who has watched the film. I also have to take into account that the market research I have conducted is with only a sample of 100 people all in the same locational area and therefore this cant be heavily relied on.

My conclusion is that my audience would include both males and females however taking into account the storyline and features within my film I believe a thriller based on reality TV and the celebrity culture would primarily reach a female audience. However, I also have to realise that the history of thriller's audience demographics indicate a popularity with males meaning there would still be a large fraction of males within my audience that I would be aiming my trailer at.

No comments:

Post a Comment