Tuesday 8 November 2011

Film Classifications

The themes concerning my trailer has given me the initial idea that it would either be classed as a 15 or an 18 so in this post I am going to research into the two classifications to see which one suits my teaser the best. The first is a table that I made showing what is permitted and what is unacceptable in terms of the 15 classification certificate.


Next is brief information including a bullet point list on the 18 classification certificate I have put together.

Most 18's are allowed to include strong references to the themes discussed in the 15 certificate. The following areas, however, are completely unacceptable:
  • Where material is in breach of criminal law or created through criminal offence.
  • When material appears to risk harm to individuals or, through their behaviour to society e.g. detail portrayal that may harm morals such as eroticising sexual assault.
18's are permitted to include sexual material as long as it seeks to inform/educate in matters such as seuxality, safer sex, health etc. 

Taking into account these two certificates I have decided that my teaser will advertise a feature film that would theoretically be an 15. Obviously my teaser will not portray this certificate explicitly in hope that this would stop any restrictions in terms of exhibition. Whilst my research shows that an 18-29 year old market suits the audience for my teaser, holding a 15 certificate stops it from isolating any other audience ages above 15. 

1 comment:

  1. make sure tht you bullet point the pros and cons of each classification as relevant to your own work - it will yield greater marks

    ReplyDelete